Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Time To Pay It Forward!!!

So last night as I was walking to my kitchen I noticed a small postcard on my dining room table.  At first I walked by and continued on into the kitchen so I could make my late night cup of coffee (yea I know, it's horrible but coffee has literally NO effect on me!).  As I was waiting for my cup to brew, I walked back to the table and picked up the postcard.  What I read really inspired me and made me want to spread the word myself about it.  The postcard was entitled "Stamp Out Hunger" and had a picture of Nick Cannon and a mail carrier named Paula Miller on it.  


Basically, the United States Postal Service and the National Association of Letter Carriers are sponsoring a food drive that is to take place THIS SATURDAY, MAY 14th to help get more food to local food banks nationwide.  The directions are super simple so I'm going to lay it out for you exactly as it's stated on the card:


1.  Bag non-perishable food items (this would include canned goods, cereals, boxes or bags of pasta or anything that doesn't require refrigeration or freezing.  And please make sure that the items you bag are NOT expired!)
2.  Leave the bag at a mailbox for pickup and delivery to a local food bank.


I think this is such a fabulous idea and I had never heard of it prior to reading the postcard.  I know usually when people check their mail, if it's not a bill or something they're expecting to get, it usually gets thrown out as almost ALL junk mail does.  But I wanted to let people know that if you received the same postcard as I did (and I imagine that everyone most likely did since this is a NATIONWIDE food drive) that this IS a legitimate event and you should partake in it.


Think about how bad our economy is and how many families are struggling to make ends meat or better yet, to put meat on their tables.  Every little bit helps so don't think that if you only have 1 or 2 things to donate that it's not worth doing so.  The 1 can of soup you donate or 1 box of cereal will go to a family that truly needs it.  Think about how good it feels to do something good for someone else, regardless if it's a stranger or someone you love and care about.  By participating in this food drive you will have done your good deed for the day, hell I'll even go as far as saying for the month.  And something else that should make you stop and think is the mail carriers that are ALL participating in this and are all going to be picking up bags of food and making extra stops along their route that day.  I think that is amazing and so kind of the mail carriers to volunteer to do this.  


Let's think for a minute.  I'm pretty sure every town or city has a food bank.  And most people have a mode of transportation or can easily get a ride if they asked.  So why aren't we bringing the food ourselves to these food banks??  I'll tell you why and I don't want you to hate me for saying it, but we're kinda lazy!  The way this food drive is set-up, we really don't have to do much except for putting the food in a bag and walking it out to the mailbox!!  Could it get any easier??  Ok, yea it could.  The mail carrier could come in our homes and bag our stuff and walk it out themselves.  (if you could read the sarcasm in those last two sentences then we are going to be great friends!)


The point I'm trying to make is, I think that we should all donate 1 bag of food this Saturday (May 14th)!!!  It's for a great cause and it will make you happy, your local food bank happy and the lucky, deserving family that needs your help happy.


Remember:  The more good you put out, the more good that comes back!!

xoxo  Lisa  xoxo  

No comments:

Post a Comment